Friday, April 24, 2020

The Goal of It All

We do not seek to imitate the masters, rather, we seek what they sought.
-Stephen R. Covey, paraphrased from a Japanese poet.

In worship, we declare our intention to become like God. But the quote above makes me wonder if that misses the mark. So I ask myself, "what is God seeking?"

I have no idea.

But, projecting from what I know of human psychological needs, I'm guessing that he is seeking to be understood. Completely understood. And the only way he can do that is by creating children who will one day create their own universe and populate it with their own spirit children, giving them bodies, and a savior, and a path to exaltation of their own.

And until we reach that point, and truly understand what possessing godhood feels like, he is still pleased by every step we take to grow along that path, just as we are pleased watching our earthly children mature and understand adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment