Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Another Advantage of Christianity

From Barry Willardson's 2015 BYU speech "Strangers and Pilgrims on the Earth":
"[The atheist said] our belief in God was a deception that made us feel better about our lives"

How can something that's not true make us feel better about our lives?

Two ways: either it takes our focus away from unpleasant things we can fix, preventing us from improving our lives, OR it takes our focus away from unpleasant things we can't fix, which allows us to feel joy, which is a far more resourceful state than misery. All things being equal, it's better to spend your time feeling joy rather than misery.

I've never met God. I can't prove He exists. All I know is that when I do the things that a person who believes in God would do, I feel happier.

No comments:

Post a Comment