Thursday, June 4, 2020

Preach Christ of Contention

Inspired by Philippians 1:16
The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds:

I reflected that I sometimes find that I serve grudgingly and with resentment. It brings me contention instead of joy. And so I asked, "How can I release my hardness and allow joy to enter my heart?"

It occurs to me that I enjoy doing things others can't do for themselves. Less so when they can, but don't.

However, then I saw verse 18:
What then? notwithstanding, every way, whether in pretence, or in truth, Christ is preached; and I therein do rejoice, yea, and will rejoice.

From this I see that even serving grudgingly is better than not serving at all, although the adversary might insist loudly otherwise. Contentious service is still service. The adversary only loves contention.

Then 23-25:
23 For I am in a strait betwixt two, having a desire to depart, and to be with Christ; which is far better:

24 Nevertheless to abide in the flesh is more needful for you.

25 And having this confidence, I know that I shall abide and continue with you all for your furtherance and joy of faith;

So I'm not alone in the choice between what I'd rather do, and what is better for someone else. I am told by Paul that by choosing to do the "not rather", I will be blessed for having chosen to abide.

2:6-7
6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

He knew who he was, and the appearance of being subservient and lowly did not affect that knowledge. He was the King who washed feet. Which others can certainly do for themselves.

And 2:8:
And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

And since he was in the form of a man, he chose to do a man's work, and fulfill a man's obligations, duties, and burdens. And joyed in them, because his goal was to be an example for others. Which leads to

2:9:
Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

and the final charge in 2:13-15:
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

14 Do all things without murmurings and disputings:

15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;

It's not too late to teach the boys how to be like me, if indeed, I believe (and I do) that I am worthy of emulation, because I emulate Him whom I serve.

And the lesson is not necessarily about service, so much as how to change gears (sometimes at a moment's notice) and choose to do the things you'd rather not in a graceful, dignified and cheerful manner.

THAT is the lesson that will serve them best as they create their own lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment