Tuesday, June 30, 2020

IABDITN: Life Lessons from Mr. Rogers

I've watched "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" at least 3 times now, and I'm endlessly fascinated with how Fred chooses the things he says. Because there's an amazing power in the way he uses words. But it's not enough for me just to be able to quote him. I want to figure out what was going through his head.

Final script here.

p 22 "Well, I figured if you wanted to talk to me, I should want to talk to you."

Faced with yet another person who wanted a piece of his day, he recognizes that he could resist and begrudgingly give the bare minimum. However, he instead chooses to embrace it and give it his complete attention.

p 22 "I try to look through the camera, into the eyes of each child watching, and speak to them, as if individually, trying to be fully present to their feelings and needs.

"Fully present" - so easy to say, so very hard to do.

p 27 "That sword looks very sharp. And heavy too."

He makes a comment about something that is important to the person.

p 28 Well you must be very strong to hold it like that. And you know what? I bet you're very strong on the inside, too."

He makes a comment about a fine quality he infers from the person's interaction with the something that's important to that person.

p 29-30 "Oh, dear. Are you all right?"

"Oh. It looks like it hurts."

"Can we have Evan look at him?"

Fred sees him him, sympathizes with him, offers to help him.

p 30 "Thank you for being here, Lloyd."

Recognizes someone went through some trouble for his sake, to be together with him at that time. (It's a small thing, but how often do I ever think about the other person's inconvenience instead of just my own?)

No comments:

Post a Comment