Friday, May 29, 2020

Daily Ponderings: Time and Thanks

Ephesians 1:16
Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers;

Time. My time is limited, finite. I could spend every waking moment being thankful for things; my blessings are that rich. But I need to attend temporal needs in addition to spiritual growth. The spiritual is more important, but it cannot be exclusive.

But gratitude and temporal activities are not mutually exclusive. Not all temporal activities are constant, uninterrupted, or require the whole of my focus. I can make an effort to be grateful in small bites throughout the day. It will be imperfect, and the adversary will chide, and mock my efforts. But I can be willing to try the experiment and see if it brings blessings into my life.

But what to be thankful for? Part of me insists that each thankfulness be both originally worded and also be in regard to the biggest blessing of my life, which means I need to sift my entire life in searching, every time.

I suspect I know who that voice belongs to.

The vital aspect isn't importance or originality, but making sure that I FEEL it. Quick and clumsy is better for my soul.

I'll know I'm doing it right when the Spirit sends me a confirmation receipt for the prayer of gratitude I send.

No comments:

Post a Comment