Friday, May 15, 2020

Daily Ponderings: Straitened in Your Own Bowels

2 Corinthians 6:12
Ye are not straitened in us, but ye are straitened in your own bowels

So obviously I've not been doing my chapter of scripture reading, but rather only doing one verse at a time. I almost feel like this one is a punishment for slacking, because I don't understand it. I don't know what they mean by either "straitened" or "bowels".

Part of me wanted to just skip over it and keep reading until I found a verse that makes sense. Another part of me suggested that I just Google it, but that felt like peeking in the back of the book for the answer. And it occurred to me that the reason I've been asked to do these daily ponderings is so that I can wrestle with the scriptures a bit, so that the meaning is more meaningful to me personally. It's not a quiz about Christian apologetics. It's about how it makes me feel, and what it makes me think about.

And I think this is, in fact, what the verse is talking about. That I am to learn the meaning of the scriptures through my own revelation, rather than relying on other people to figure out what I need to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment