Sunday, April 5, 2020

Daily Ponderings

A while back, I was thinking about how I can get more revelation, and I was prompted to - first thing in the morning - read the next verse in my regular scripture reading, and ponder it until I could extract from it some sort of lesson that would apply to myself. Not as easy as it sounds, because some of these verses are generally intended solely as an introduction to the succeeding verses.

Still, operating on the theory that everything in the scriptures is there for a reason, I will attend the exercise as best I can, knowing that some days may be harder than others, and hoping that, like lifting weights, the harder I have to work at it, the more spiritual strength will be imparted in the process.

I remember several years ago joking with someone that no one will ever choose Philemon 1:24 as their favorite verse. No one will ever memorize it. No one will ever quote it. Because there's simply nothing of substance there:

24 Marcus, Aristarchus, Demas, Lucas, my fellowlabourers.

Almost immediately, I extracted the lesson:

"Give recognition and praise to those who help you. There were many in the church. These four are the ones Paul singled out and honored with the title 'fellowlaborers'. This is the blessing that is the reward for all their labors of faith."

And this has been one of my favorite verses ever since.

In the coming days, we'll see what else pops up...

1 comment: